Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The numbers don't lie

Shortly after we booked the wedding reception venue for our date in December I got a FaceTime call from my dad. My dad loves cell phone technology and will FaceTime at any opportunity he gets.

"Hi! Your mom wants to talk to you." 

My mom on the other hand is terrible with cell phones. She has an iPhone solely to take pictures and post to Facebook while on the go. Because of this I ended up FaceTiming with her nose. 

"It's a bad date!!! You picked a bad date!!! You have to change it!!!" 

It took me a while to figure out that it was her nose I was looking at. 

"What are you talking about??"
"The numerology of your wedding date! It's a bad number! You have to change it to November!!"

Surely someone else can explain the concept of the auspicious date much better than I can, but essentially the auspicious date refers to the luckiest or best date to do anything -- get married, buy a house, etc.  Depending on one's culture the auspicious date can be determined in a number of ways, including numerology. While I knew this was a thing in the Chinese culture, this was the first time I was hearing about it in my own. I knew my mom dabbled in numerology from time to time, but more so just for kicks. The numbers never played a part in selecting other milestone moments in our family's life, so imagine my surprise when this was suddenly a big deal.

I tried to get a better understanding of the situation. "How are you coming up with this? Are you sure you have our right birth dates? And who is your source? Because if it's Uncle R, he's not really an expert. Mr. S and I don't really believe in that stuff anyway so we should be fine." 

The nose spoke frantically, "NOOO!! Your number signifies hardship and struggle!! Do you really want your wedding to start off that way?!? Move it to November!!" 

Was she being serious?? 

"November costs $3,000 extra!" 
"Well if you ask me, that is a cheap price to pay for starting your marriage with the perfect number!!" 

Well then. "I don't trust your source. I will find my own." 

And with that I went to my authority on all things big and small - Google. Turns out there are lots of resources to explain numerology and how to select an auspicious wedding date. I happened upon one that was decorated with rainbows and butterflies and included an auspicious wedding date calculator. Obviously, the accountant in me felt right at home.

I entered our birth dates and wedding date into the little calculator which spit out this result: 6. That meant absolutely nothing to me, so good thing it had an explanation:

A personal year, month or day of 6 is a number of family, responsibility and the home. Of all the numbers in numerology this number is the most auspicious number for creating a home with someone, settling down and perhaps having a family too if that is important to you. Try to have a 6 in the personal date numbers of both the bride and groom when picking a date for a wedding. In Tarot's Major Arcana The Lovers is card number 6.

I zoned in on the key words -- family, creating a home, lovers. Looked good to me! In addition to all that, it told me that Mr. S and I have the same personal day and personal month numbers despite us having different birth dates. Again, meaningless to me, but matching numbers had to be a good sign!

I sent my findings to my mom expecting her to come back with a reason why my numerology website (which could have been published by My Little Pony for all I knew) was a bunch of bull. 

"Did you see what I sent you? It says our date is fine!" 
"Ok." 

I was silent for a few seconds, not really sure what was going on. 15 minutes ago her flared nostrils were telling me my future marriage was a future disaster and now all I was getting was an "Ok"??  If this was some reverse psychology shizz I wasn't falling for it. 

"Great, December Xth it is! Bye!" 

The numerology thing never came up again. Maybe during the time I was Googling she realized she had a mathematical error. Maybe she decided that My Little Pony was a better source than my Uncle R. I'll never know. And as long as we get to keep our bargain date, I don't really care!

No comments:

Post a Comment